Sunday, October 3, 2010

Supreme Court docket: Violent video games

    Ain't this a bitch? The list of the Supreme Court's upcoming court cases was released earlier this morning  and one of the cases that'll be heard in November is:
 
Schwarzenegger v. Entertainment Merchants Association

l Nov. 2: California is the latest state attempting to prevent the sale of "violent" video games to minors. An appeals court said, similar to decisions of courts elsewhere, that the law violates First Amendment free-speech rights.

   That's right, the governor of California, Arnold
Schwarzenegger (how the FACK did that happen?) and once-Terminator has petitioned the court to halt the sale of violent video games to minors. I watched the T-800 kill a bunch of cops in the first movie when I was a little kid but I'm a normal, jaded, extremely intelligent, and slightly- amused-at-nothing-in-particular grown-ass man. I have never had the urge to commit mass murder, chop someone into three pieces so I could fit him/her into a suitcase, or demand to someone, "Your clothes, give them to me." Never have these things crossed my mind.

   My parents brought me up properly, instilled a fear of the whip in me, and sent me to bed starving when I was out of line. If more parents did that, maybe all the kids would grow up to be as good and upstanding as J-Sonoma. I did shoplift once - it was a paper clip I needed when I was in the 3rd grade. I think I did that the day after I watched Terminator.

Details of the case are listed below:
Granted April 26, 2010, for argument in the 2010 Term.
Docket: 08-1448
Issues: (1) Whether the First Amendment permit any limits on offensive content in violent video games sold to minors; and (2) whether a state regulation for displaying offensive, harmful images to children is invalid if it fails to satisfy the exacting “strict scrutiny” standard of review.
The full suit may be viewed at:
http://www.abanet.org/publiced/preview/briefs/pdfs/09-10/08-1448_Petitioner.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment